Xiaomi officially locked the bootloader by reasoned to improve security system. Of course not all devices, only the latest. The impact, we can no longer flash device through fastboot. Another method to flash Xiaomi phones is through EDL Mode. But there are still many Xiaomi users who do not know how to get a device into EDL Mode, the reason is enter EDL Mode is more complicated than going to Fastboot. Sometimes special tools are needed.
What is EDL Mode?
EDL stands for Emergency Download Mode. This mode is like an emergency door to transfer the android operating system (stock ROM) from computer to EMMC via processor when your device is boot loop, hard brick, or dead boot. The EDL Mode feature is available on Qualcomm Snapdragon devices.
1. Boot Into EDL Mode Using ADB Commands
ADB (Android Debug Bridge) can be used if your device is on normally. Enable USB Debugging the device and connect to the computer. Once the computer is allowed to recognize the device, you can write commands for the device to enter EDL Mode. We need Minimal ADB and Fastboot software to write the commands.
- Open Settings → About phone.
- Tap several times on the MIUI Version until the "You have developer option" message appears and then press Back button.
- Press Settings → Additional settings.
- Select Developer options.
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM unlocking.
- Connect the device to the computer, if the message "Allow USB Debugging" appears on the phone screen click OK.
- Open the installation directory of the Minimal ADB and Fastboot on C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot.
- Press the Shift key and Right click and then select Open command window here to display the command prompt screen.
adb reboot edladn press Enter. Automatically the phone screen will dim as dead, it's a sign of your phone has gone into EDL Mode.
- Go to Device Manager of your Windows computer and check on Ports. If Qualcomm HS USB Qdloader 9008 detected it means the driver is installed properly.
- The next step flash device using MI Flash Tool.
2. Take Across From Fastboot
Keep using the Minimum ADB and Fastboot tool but compared the first way we have to go into Fasboot Mode first and then to EDL Mode.
- Turn off your phone.
- Go to Fastboot by pressing Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously until Xiaomi 'rabbit' image appears.
- Connect the phone to the computer.
- Open the Minimal ABD and Fastboot command prompt, the same way as for point 7 on the first method.
fasboot oem edland automatically your phone will go to EDL Mode. If the command does not work, try
fastboot reboot edl.
3. Combination Buttons
- Turn off your phone.
- Now plug one end of the USB Cable into the PC port and the other end does not connect to the phone.
- Press the Volume Up and Power buttons and immediately connect the other end of USB Cable to the phone.
- Automatically the phone will go to EDL Mode with LED lights will light up blinking.
4. Deep Flash Cable
You can buy this tool at an online store or build it yourself. Your Qualcomm cell phone will be forced into Qualcomm 9008 mode even if the bootloader is locked. Supports all Qualcomm phones such as Redmi 3, Redmi Note 3, Mi4C, Mi4I, MI5, Lenovo A6000, Andromax G2, and so forth.
5. PCB Test Points
A surface-mounted test point is basically a small wire loop designed as an attachment point for test probes on a circuit board containing surface-mount components. It is relatively small, about the same size as a standard chip capacitor package.
The location of test points on each type of phone will vary depending on the type of PCB. On Qualcomm phones generally provided test points to force the device into emergency download mode (9008).
More details see examples test points of the Qualcomm phones.